Emmanuel E. Ekuwem, PhD, MIEEE, NPOM
Former National President, Association of Telecommunication Companies of Nigeria (ATCON), CEO, Teledom Group
Dr. Emmanuel E. Ekuwem B.Sc., M.Sc., M.Sc., PhD, MIEEE, MISOC, a former National President of the Association of Telecommunication Companies of Nigeria (ATCON), former President of Nigeria Internet Group (NIG) is the Founder and CEO of Teledom Group, an indigenous conglomerate company with expertise in Broadband Information and Communications Technology (ICT) infrastructure development, deployment and software development for the automation of national socio-economic activities to sustainably boost productivity, enhance good corporate governance and engender prosperity and national well-being . He has tremendous capabilities and versatility in telecom engineering, information technology and telecom peripherals instrumentation. His vast knowledge, expertise and experience are a resource and guiding tool for both his company and the larger society.
Dr. Emmanuel E. Ekuwem is an alumnus of Obafemi Awolowo University (former University of Ife) Ile-Ife. He holds a Bachelors Degree in Engineering Physics, Masters Degree in Physics, Masters Degree in Electronic & Electrical Engineering (Microcomputer-based Instrumentation and Control Engineering) and a PhD in Electronic and Electrical Engineering (Computer-based Instrumentation and Control Engineering). He did his Post-PhD fellowship research work ( Computer-based Real-Time Data Communication in PSTN) in the Networking and Radio Propagation Laboratory of the UNESCO ICTP, Trieste, Italy.
Dr. Ekuwem is:
- A former National President of the Association of Telecommunication Companies of Nigeria (ATCON).
As can be attested to by the Nigerian ICT industry in particular and the Nigerian public in general, high points of ATCON’s activities under Ekuwem’s leadership include:
- Forum on Telecom Investment & Finance
- Summit on Telecom Franchise & Virtual Operations
- Forum on SIM Pack Registration for National Security
- Summit on the Standard of Nigeria’s ICT Education
- Forum on Nigerian/Local Content Development in the ICT industry
- Rebranding of NICOMM Expo to ComBIT Africa Expo
- Position Papers and Stakeholders Fora on Quality of Service (QoS)
- Advocacy against Multiple Taxation of ICT Sector by Federal, State and Local Governments
- Campaign against Indiscriminate Demolition of Telecom Infrastructure over right-of-way issues
- Advocacy for Anti-Competition & Anti-Trust Law
- Call for a National Cybersecurity Law that includes designation of ICT infrastructure as CRITITAL NATIONAL INFRASTRUCTURE
- Member of the telecommunications industry consultative and advisory forum of the Nigerian communication commission (NCC).
- Member of the Infrastructure Policy Commission of the Nigerian Economic Summit Group (NESG).
- Member of the Science and Technology Policy Commission of NESG
- Member of the Infrastructure sub-committee of the National IT Strategic Action PLAN.
- External Member of Faculty Board of the Faculty of Technology, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife
- President of Knowledge Media International, publisher of IT Edge Magazine and web-based ITEdge online (ITEdgenews.com).
- A winner of the Third World Academy of Science (TWAS) award for Research on the effects of Meteorological phenomena on Radio Communication (VHF/UHF) in the lower Troposphere.
- Chairman of Technology Development Company Limited ( Hi-Tech development and ICT-based Industrial Automation).
- Chairman of Web Inn Limited (Web-based Software Development).
- Chairman of IT Mart Limited (InfoTech Supermarket – IT wares).
- Broadband Personality of the Year 2010 of the African Telecom Hall of Fame Award (5 Nov, 2010)
- Winner of IT & Telecom Personality of the Year (2005)
- Broadband Personality of the Year Award (2010)
- Titan of Technology Award (2011)
- African Technology Hall of Fame Award (2014)
- Broadband Personality/ ICT Fame Award to mark the Nigerian Centenary Celebrations (2014)
- Beacon of ICT Award for Life-Time Achievements in ICT (2015)
Dr. Ekuwem was:
- The National President, Nigeria Internet Group (NIG)
High Points of NIG’s activities under Ekuwem’s tenure:
- Annual organization of the African Internet Summit (Afrinet) in collaboration with the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC).
- Collaboration with the Commercial Service Department of the United States Embassy in Nigeria in holding Internet related events during the annual CTO program.
- As a member of the Nigerian Cybercrime Working Group (NCWG) domiciled in the Office of the National Security Adviser (NSA).
- Raising of public awareness via workshops, seminars and stakeholder forums on cybersecurity for banks and financial institutions and to Telecom Operators and ICT Service Providers on cybersecurity of critical Telecommunication infrastructures.
- Organised the first-ever Financial Internet Technology Conference and Exhibition (FINTEX 2005) to marked the onset of the advocacy for e-Payments and CASHLESS NIGERIA.
- Partnered with ATCON in the organization of NICOMM (now COMBIT) events.
- Partnered with the National Manpower Board (NMB) on Internet / Intranet-based manpower reservoir / database (of Nigerians at home and in the Diaspora).That is the “Click to Knowledge and Expertise” campaign
- Partnered with the National University Commission (NUC) on Internet content of the NUNet as well as Internet content of academic computer networks.
- Partnered with the Nigerian Communications Commission ( NCC ) and the National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA) in all Internet related stakeholders meetings and public forums. That is the “Click to Wealth Campaign”
- Partnered with the Economic and Financial Crime Commission ( EFCC) in the monitoring and tracking of Nigerian-initiated Internet-channeled financial crimes etc.
- Campaign for local hosting (domestication) and administration of the Internet .ng Top Level Domain of Nigeria by Nigerians. This active campaign led to the intervention of President Olusegun Obasanjo who directed the possession of the .ng national resource by the National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA). NITDA in collaboration with the local Internet community of Nigeria established the Nigerian Internet Registration Association (NIRA). NIRA, via its licenced Registrars, now registers sub-level domains under the .ng toplevel domain as well administers the .ng toplevel domain.
- Chairman, Technical Committee of the Nigerian Universities Network (NUNet) and Nigerian Universities Management Information System (NUMIS) – NUNet/NUMIS.
- Member of the Presidential committee on 419 on the Internet and cybercrime.
- Member of the Nigerian Cybercrime working group.
- UNESCO’s ICTP (Trieste, Italy) Regional Coordinator of the Nigerian Universities Network (NuNet).
- Visiting Associate to the ICTP under the umbrella of the Aeronomy Laboratory and Programme on Training and System Development in Networking and Radio communication.
- Consultant to UNESCO (Nigeria office) on the IT component of UNDAF.
- He was a Fellow of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA)/TRIL Programme of the ICTP on Intelligent Real-Time Computer-based Data Communication.
- Principal Investigator in the International Telecommunication Union (ITU-R) experiments on radio propagation phenomena in non-ionized media (in Africa).
- Consultant to Akwa Ibom State Government on Information Technology/Science and Technology Park (2003-2007)
- Networking Design Consultant/Technology Provider to National eGovernment Strategies Limited (NeGst) of the Federal Government
- Consultancy and Collaboration Activities with United Nations Agencies ( International Telecommunications Union (ITU), UNESCO, World Meteorological Organisation (WMO), UNDP, UNECA, World Bank, UNIDO, etc)
DR. EMMANUEL EKUWEM PARTICIPATION IN UNESCO'S ICTP ACTIVITIES
- Workshop on Application of Wireless Sensor Networks for Environmental Monitoring in Developing Countries – 28 Feb – 11 March, 2011
- Workshop and Awareness Conference on Evolution of Wireless Technologies: 2 2 /02 /2 01 0 - 1 2 /03 /2 01 0
- Aeronomy and Radiopropagation Laboratory: 01 /01 /2 009 - 3 1 /1 2 /2009
- ICTP-ITU School on Wireless ICT Low Cost Solutions in Developing Countries: Best Practices - followed by – 2nd Awareness Workshop on Relevance of Low Cost Wireless ICT Solutions for Development: 1 6/02 /2 009 - 06/03 /2 009
- School on New Perspectives in Wireless Networking Applications followed by Relevance of Low Cost Wireless ICT Solutions for Development: An Awareness Workshop: 1 /02 /2 008 - 05/03 /2008
- ICTP-ITU-URSI School on Wireless Networking for Scientific Applications in Developing Countries, including Environmental Monitoring: 05/02 /2007 - 23 /02 /2 007
- Aeronomy and Radiopropagation Laboratory – Research: 01 /01 /2 006 - 31 /1 2 /2 006
- Joint ICTP-ITU Activities: 01 /01 /2 005 - 3 1 /1 2 /2 005
- School on Digital Radio Communications for Research and Training in Developing Countries: 09/02 /2 004 2 7 /02 /2 004
- School on Radio Use for Information and Communication Technology: 03 /02 /2 003 - 2 1 /02 /2 003
- Aeronomy and Radio Propagation Laboratory : 01 /01 /2 003 - 3 1 /1 2 /2 003
- School on Data and Multimedia Communications using Terrestrial and Satellite Radio Links: 07 /02 /2000 - 25/02 /2 000
- Second ICTP-URSI-ITU/BDT School on the use of Radio for Digital Communications in Developing Countries:01 /02 /1 999 - 1 9/02 /1 999
- Networking and Radio Communications: 01 /01 /1 999 - 31 /1 2 /1 999
- ICTP-URSI-ITU/BDT SCH. on the use of Radio for Digital Comm. in developing countries. including Spectrum Management: 1 2 /01 /1998 - 30/01 /1 998
- Programme of Training and System Development on Networking and Radiocommunication: 01 /01 /1 998 - 31 /1 2 /1 998
- Workshop on optical methods for environmental monitoring: 1 3 /1 1 /1995 - 1 7 /11 /1 995
- ICTP-ITU(BDT) Workshop on Economic Quantification of the Impact of Telecommunication in Development: 2 6/02 /1 996 - 01 /03 /1 996
- ICTP/UN Conference on Optical Physics in Space Science and Technology: 2 0/1 1 /1 995 - 24/1 1 /1 995
- Research on Aeronomy and Radio Propagation: 01 /01 /1 995 - 31 /1 2 /1 995
- Workshop on Telematics: 02 /1 0/1995 - 20/1 0/1 995
- International Symposium on African Drought: 3 1 /07 /1995 - 04/08/1 995
- Second Workshop on Rural Communications in Developing Countries: 06/03 /1995 - 10/03 /1 995
- Fourth ICTP-URSI-ITU(BDT) College on Radio Propagation: Propagation. Informatics & Radio Communcation System Planning: 3 0/01 /1995 - 03/03/1995
- Miscellaneous Research:01 /01 /1 996 - 31 /1 2 /1 996
- Seminar on Radio Wave Propagation in Tropical Regions (with reference to I.T.U. recent Measurements in Africa): 2 9/1 1 /1 993 - 03 /1 2 /1 993
- Miscellaneous Research: 01 /01 /1 995 - 31 /1 2 /1 995
- Visits to Italian Laboratories: 01 /01 /1 995 - 31 /1 2 /1 995
- Suivi De L'atelier Sur La Preparation Des plans Directeurs Radio Maritimes Pour les Pays Africain Francophones: 07 /1 1 /1 994 - 11 /1 1 /1994
- Third College on Microprocessor-based Real-time Control – Principles and Applications in Physics: 2 6/09/1994 - 21 /1 0/1 994
- ICTP-INFN-UNU-Microprocessor Laboratory: Third Course on Basic Vlsi Techniques: 2 1 /11 /1 994 - 1 6/1 2 /1 994
- Workshop on Telematics: 2 7 /09/1 993 - 22 /1 0/1 993
- Workshop on Scientific Aspects of the Rural Communications in Developing Countries: 01 /03 /1 993 - 05/03 /1 993
- THIRD ICTP-URSI College on Theoretical and Experimental Radio Propagation Physics: 01 /02 /1 993 - 26/02 /1 993
- ICS/ICTP/WMO International Workshop on Mediterranean Cyclones Studies: 1 8/05/1 992 22/05/1 992
- School on Physical Methods for the Study of the Upper and Lower Atmosphere System: 2 6/1 0/1992 - 06/1 1 /1 992
- Workshop and Conference on 'Global Change and Environmental Considerations for Energy Systems Development': 2 1 /04/1 992 - 08/05/1 992
- Second College on Theoretical and Experimental Radio Propagation Physics: 07 /01 /1 991 - 01 /02 /1 99
- Miscellaneous Research 01 /01 /1 992 - 31 /1 2 /1 992
As a result of his expertise, his company, Teledom International Limited is:
- Strategic Partner to the National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA) on the Public Service Information Network (PSNet).
- Partner to the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) on ICT-based Automation in universities and university teaching hospitals.
Ministerial Productivity Award
Dr Ekuwem, a prime mover of Teledom International Limited, founded the company with IT-Management experience as an expert/Consultant in Telecommunication and IT. He held brief as Head of Engineering in the then Department of Meteorological Services (now Nigerian Meteorological Agency, NIMET) of the Aviation Ministry before going on voluntary retirement at a very young age. While in the Aviation establishment, he won a “Ministerial Award for Outstanding Productivity” for developing a sensitive radiosonde to determine the vertical profile (stability or/and instability) of the troposphere for aviation safety. As a scion of telecommunication and IT, he has delivered several papers at workshops, conferences and seminars on how to manage, improve and integrate Nigeria and indeed Africa into the global ICT-world for the greater benefits of all. He is really detailed, and well travelled in the global ICT industry. Dr Ekuwem speaks excellent English, French and Italian. He is a member of IEEE, ISOC, NMS, etc.
National Award (Honour) by President Obasanjo
As a mark of special recognition of the contributions of Dr. Emmanuel E. Ekuwem to the growth of ICT in Nigeria, then President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, in year 2001 identified him as the “most productive individual” and conferred on him the prestigious award – the National Productivity Order of Merit – NPOM. This very award stands him out as an epitome of excellence in his chosen career.
In the year 2002, Teledom International Limited won the Regional Best Performance Award as a distributor of Broadband Wireless Access (BWA) equipment from the BWA world leader, Alvarion Limited of Israel, under his professional techno-managerial leadership.
For his contributions to diffusion of knowledge using Information and Communications Technology, the Ibaka Traditional Rulers Council in December 2002, conferred the Chieftaincy title of “Obong Ifiok” (Chief/Custodian of Knowledge) on Dr. Ekuwem.
He also has the chieftaincy title of “Ofriyo Mbo” (tallest skyscraper flowering tree).
Telecom Industry Award
Association of Telecommunication Companies of Nigeria (ATCON) conferred the National Telecommunications Merit Award on him in 2004 at the 10th Anniversary of the body. He was
Distinguished Scientist Award was given to him in October 2004 by Faculty of Science, OAU, Ife.
Pan African Award
He was honoured on April 28, 2005 with the prestigious Kwame Nkrumah Africa Leadership Award in Ghana.
ALBERT EINSTEIN Centenary Award
The Nigerian Institute of Physics (NIP), in celebrating 2005 as the World Physics Year declared by the United Nations to commemorate the centenary anniversary of Albert Einstein’s famous discovery of Relativity, conferred the Award of Excellence on Dr. Ekuwem on 18 August 2005 for his contributions to “networking of academic minds and institutions for the exchange of scientific knowledge”
National Dailies Award
In 2008, Dr. Ekuwem earned an Award of Excellence by National Dailies for his Advocacy of Broadband Information and Communications Technology Infrastructure penetration of Nigeria for Knowledge Wealth Creation.
Legend of Technology Award
In April 2010, Legend of Tech Award was conferred on Dr. Emmanuel Ekuwem by Technology Africa.
Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) Award
September, 2010, he was honoured by the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA), Channel
10, Lagos with the Award of Excellence in
Human Capacity Building and Empowerment to mark the Golden Jubilee celebrations of Nigeria’s Independence.
He is a pioneer Proposer for Migration from “Militants” or “ terrorists” to Digital Revolutionaries” for restive youth in Nigeria. Dr, Ekuwem believes that poverty is a threat to democracy because where there is rampant poverty, integrity bows to the existentialist pocket! The ability of integrity to say NO or YES, at the right time and place is weakened by the pressure on pocket to meet immediate needs. There is a rush for WHAT IS in spite of the palpable need for WHAT SHOULD BE! A general quest for WHAT SHOULD BE results in sustained socio-economic growth, development and advancement! “ICT is a creative ‘drug’. Use ICT to create millions of jobs and take these boys and girls off the streets for the peace and progress of our country”, Dr. Ekuwem always says.